Friday, March 9, 2007

Through a light, darkly


Butterfly Lantern
Speaking of decorative lamps (that is, lamps with a main purpose that has more to do with aesthetics than illumination), I offer Hisae Homma and Philip Lewis' spinning rice paper lanterns. I picked mine up at Autumn Cottage Home Furnishings in the Mall of America circa 1998.

I dare you to find a lamp more unique and adorable (or less functional) than this one. The first thing that may strike you about these lamps is their simple, handmade design employing only rice paper, construction paper, cellophane, wood, a small light bulb the size of a Christmas tree bulb, and the required electrical parts. Heat from the bulb rises to spin the windmill attached to the inner cylinder, projecting moving images on the outer rice paper walls (and onto the walls of your room as it spins in the dark). Mine has jumping cats on it that are chasing a ball. It's so cute that I could eat it.


Jumping Cat Pattern
What occurred to me that day in Minneapolis as I examined the lamp's seemingly simple construction was that I could probably build such a thing myself. I'm glad I decided to buy it though, because the rolls of rice paper and cellophane procured for this project are still stored under my bed, having survived four moves.


Dinosaur Lantern
My infatuation with this lamp only grew when I saw it featured (jumping cats and all) on one of the final episodes of "Six Feet Under" in Maya's bedroom. The only other time I've seen something of mine on TV was in 1988 when I saw Erica Ehm on MuchMusic wearing an oversized hooded sweater like one I had bought at Le Chateau. As you can see, I'm still talking about it.

Dent in your wallet:
US 79.99 plus shipping

Ideal for:
baby shower; children's room; the young at heart.

Look for it at:
www.whippoorwillcrafts.com

2 comments:

Wasa-B said...

Now why can't I write a blog (or write in general) so succinctly and without pretension?

I once saw a bedspread I own featured on an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond". Still, your "Six Feet Under" catch trumps my "Raymond". Point goes to you, good ma'am.

Do you ever worry about the bulb getting too hot and setting the rice paper ablaze? I have a fear of out of control fires.

alisonrae said...

Yes, I considered (and then forgot about) adding the potential fire hazard associated with this lamp. I have only left it on for a half hour at a time when I am present in the room. It starts to spin at an almost alarming rate as it heats up.

I also thought of boasting about the longevity of the bulb, which I have never had to change, but figured I couldn't get away with that after admitting that it is basically a Christmas tree bulb...