Sunday, April 1, 2007

A little bubbly, anyone?

As much of a foodie as I pretend to be, rarely do I attempt to be a Chris Columbus or Magellan in the kitchen. While I'm all for the latest in innovative food trends such as essence infusions, two & three-way dishes, or tower-style plating - I'll leave it up to the gastronomical adventurers of the restaurant world to invent the next evolution in cuisine.

However, there is ONE particular culinary innovation that I can proudly call my very own. Something I created partly by accident one snowy December evening when I was racking my brain to come up with a way to add that special "ooo-la-la!" to a certain Asian fusion dish. After toiling away in my kitchen into the wee hours of the night, it was around 4 in the a.m. when I finally stumbled upon my ultimate savoury discovery.

And, oh my, what a discovery it was!

Now keep in mind, never before have I shared the keys to this fantastical food secret with anyone - until right now! And trust me, it will literally cause you to foam at the mouth. Yes, LITERALLY.

You see, while some chefs have taken to the recent trend of creating frothy flavoured foams to enhance their dishes - I, on the other hand, have created a particular kind of foam that actually forms and grows IN your mouth! Through a combination of very specific ingredients and chemical reactions, the most astounding texture and flavour can be achieved with my recipe for mouth foam.


"But, good sir, what might this mouth foam of yours taste like?"

The truth? Heaven. Pure prosciutto heaven - with even the slightest hint of wild sage!

Now, to be fair, probably because of all the chemical intermingling going on, it may actually cause wooziness in certain people, but not usually to the point of blacking out. But a small price to pay for taste bud nirvana!

"Oh, good sir, do tell us how this can be made possible! Do tell!"

Actually, my friends, you'll be glad to know it's relatively uncomplicated...

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 1/2 tablespoons alum powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
5 or 6 drops of ham extract

Combine all ingredients in a chilled metallic bowl. Cover with parchment paper and let rest in a draft-free area for at least 45 minutes.

Serve with almost any Asian meat dishes. With each bite, take no more than a spoonful of the mouth foam mixture. Simply wait for the exciting reaction and enjoy!

NOTE: Do not eat with bok choy, as its higher-than-usual chlorophyll content tends to interact poorly with mouth foam.


Dent in your pay cheque:
no more than $14 for mouth foam ingredients (plus the cost of Asian meat)

Ideal for:
Asians (& non-Asians)

Look for it at:
Fu Yao Supermarket or most Giant Tigers

1 comment:

alisonrae said...

Okay, this sounded totally disgusting and I have to admit that I fell for it, although I honestly had no inclination to immediately (or ever) head out to the Giant Tiger to whip up some of my own Mouth Foam. Nice work.