Friday, February 23, 2007

Merde, il pleut!

When it comes to choosing a rain-deflecting device, I am a big fan of the classic, full-size umbrella. None of those cute compact or ultra-mini parapluies for me. Sure, the classic model isn't the most convenient accessory to tote around. But it sure is darn classy-looking. Très sophistiqué, non? And it also doubles as a fancy walking cane (when not in primary function mode). Plus, I figure it could act as a makeshift beat-down stick to thwart off would-be muggers (though I've yet to test it for this purpose, so I make no promises).

But I think the ultimate benefit of the full-sized classic is the friendly or even romantic encounters it may lead to. What sort of possibilities do I speak of? Well, imagine the heavens are pouring down with a vengeance, and you cruise up to a street corner only to happen upon a poor sap getting absolutely doused, waiting to cross the street next to you. However, with the extra refuge afforded by your oversized parasol, you are in prime position to offer some much-appreciated reprieve from the drenching onslaught. See what I'm getting at? So now imagine if the poor sap was instead a very grateful lovely lady or hunky dude. Voilà! You are the knight/knightress(?) with drying armour! Go get'em, tiger!

But hey, while you're now swaggering down the sidewalk with your rain-deflecting mate magnet, why not make it an even more attractive piece of bait (y'know, in a peacock tail sort of way) by choosing one with eye-catching colour AND a clever, foreign-language phrase printed right on it! This sexy combination is sure to turn (some) heads.



To accomplish this, I highly recommend the bold-coloured series of "MERDE IL PLEUT" umbrellas. Myself, I have the canary yellow model, although other great colours can also be had. Of course, the true lure of this magic stick is the cheeky phrase that will speak volumes about your own witty and worldly renaissance personality, and almost guarantees to attract only the more discriminating, hoity segments of the population.



I picked mine up in Montréal at a small luggage & accessory shop on St. Laurent street. But I've since found their availability online as well. What great news for all you would-be 'brella-wielding wooers!

Dent in your pay cheque:
$45

Ideal for:
guys or gals seeking extra attention on soggy streets; rainy day romantic hopefuls; a practical novelty gift for conservative parents who don't speak a lick of French

Look for it at:
www.raindropsto.com

3 comments:

Wasa-B said...

A big cheer for my brother, who recently got me my THIRD yellow "Merde Il Pleut" umbrella for my birthday. Having had my first one stolen at the movies (told you they were hot), then foolishly misplacing my second one in a Canadian Tire, I'm already counting down the days till I'll have to get a replacement for this third.

Unknown said...

Hey, I would much appreciate If you could tell me where exactly on St.Laurent is that shop where you bought the umbrella.
thank a lot in advance.

Wasa-B said...

As you can tell, it's been quite a while since I bought it. Not even sure if the store is still there. I don't remember the name of it, but it was a luggage store not that far up on St. Laurent. It was on the south/west side of the street, and most likely above Sherbrooke, but I think below Pine. Hope you find it, or at least the umbrella.