Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Star Light, Star (Not Too) Bright

It's not like I consider myself much of an interior decorator. I suppose, if push came to shove, I could possibly make a room feel habitable, maybe even inviting. Frankly, it hasn't been much of an issue yet in my life since I've yet to purchase my own house or condo or double-wide trailer.

And I don't consider a rented domicile as something to spend my time or money perfecting aesthetically. Sure, I'll make it homey-looking, but I'm not about to start pulling out paint chips and antiquing catalogues.

But I know what I like when I see it. Usually. I mean, I do know what is considered gaudy or tacky. Example: Growing up, our family had a felt wall-hanging that depicted a pack of curiously dextrous dogs playing a lively game of snooker. This highly implausible canine scenario hung over our family's own pool table. This, my friends, was TACKY. (Yet still somehow appropriate.)

There is a piece of room decor which I now own that I treasure and is something I received as a gift nearly a decade ago. In fact, it was such a popular item among the three female friends who gave it to me, that they just had to buy the same thing for each other's birthdays that year.

So what awesome household ornamentation could inspire such buying behaviour among friends, you ask? (And not merely being ornamental but functional too?!) A lamp!

Not just any ordinary lamp, no sir-ee. It is an authentic Mexican aged tin 12-pointed star lamp. Just don't be hoodwinked by one of those Pier 1 Import aluminum knock-offs. If yours doesn't say "Hecho en Mexico", then a ball-peen hammer in the little hands of a child from some other far away country is responsible for your inferior model.



These Mexican paragons are designed with just enough intricate artisan skill to not look like random tchotchkes from Guadalajara, and will easily find a home suspended in almost any modern dwelling. But perhaps I was overselling it a wee bit when I was touting its functionality. It doesn't pump out a whole lot of illumination (with all that metal encasing the bulb and all). Certainly not enough to read or perform any suturing by. But if you're looking for some subtle hanky-panky mood lighting or an oversized night light for a little tyke's bedroom, this light's for you!

We found ours in a modest Mexican import shop on rue Saint-Denis in Montreal, circa 1998 (so whether the store is still there is questionable). It's quite possible you may now find authentic ones available at certain home furnishing boutiques as well, but probably at a premium. I also found an online U.S. retailer (funnily enough called "Direct from Mexico") that ships worldwide. Of course, there's always the absolute final resort of planning a Mexican getaway for the express purpose of picking up one these down there - at a bargainable super discount, no doubt.


Dent in your wallet:
US $87.60 plus shipping
or
a plane ticket to Mexico plus a few pesos

Ideal for:
those looking to add a quick touch of quasi-cultural flair to a room; (big) kids afraid of the dark in the middle of the night; good friends seeking a common gift to keep them bonded no matter how far they drift apart (awwwwwwwww.....!)

Look for it at:
www.directfrommexico.com

1 comment:

Wasa-B said...

While admiring my star lamp last night (I promise, not a nightly ritual), I noticed that it had not 12, but 18 points! So in the interest of full disclosure, mine is in fact an 18 pointer unlike the one my blog entry refers to. Perhaps if you ask the Yanks over at "Direct from Mexico" nicely, they can commission a Mexican child to add additional points to your custom order. (And, yes, I will be unreasonably jealous if you manage to procure an 18+ point model. Grrrr.)